Registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860, the National Institute of Naturopathy came into existence on 22nd of December 1986 and is headed by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare. National Institute of Naturopathy is situated in a historic building named ‘’Bapu Bhavan’’, Tadiwala Road, Pune. Bapu Bhavan building is named after Mahatma Gandhi as he stayed there for 156 days in 1934 and made this institution his home. Earlier this place was called ‘Nature Cure Clinic and Sanatorium’ which was functioned by late Dr. Dinshaw K. Mehta who established All India Nature Cure Foundation Trust in this center. After becoming the chairman of this association, Gandhiji conducted his Naturopathy experiments and organized National and international activities while staying here. The existing complex was handed over to the Government of India on the 17th of March 1975 by Dr. Dinshaw K. Mehta for starting the National Institute of Naturopathy.
Naturopathy is an ancient non-invasive rational system of healing that practices natural elements based on the theory of self-healing capacity of the body, vitality, and toxemia.
Naturopathy embraces several therapies which include herbs, massage, exercise, and nutritional counseling. Some more popular therapies which fall under Naturopathy are Mud Therapy, Manipulative Therapy, Electrotherapy, Acupuncture, Hydrotherapy, Chemotherapy, Physiotherapy, Exercise, Yoga Therapy, and Magnetic Therapy.
Functions of the Institute
National Institute of Naturopathy houses an OPD clinic that offers free consultation services where Naturopathy treatment is given to the patients at a subsidized rate. of Rs.350 per week. The institute’s OPD is attracting a huge number of patients due to the increasing popularity of naturopathy in Pune.
National Institute of Naturopathy also runs a health shop where natural food, drinks, and products are made available to the public. In addition to this, one can also find a book on naturopathy, yoga, and other health-related instruments used in the Naturopathy treatment at subsidized rates.
Naturopathic Diet Center
A Naturopathic Diet Center is run by the National Institute of Naturopathy which provides diet facilities to the general public and patients who visit the premises of the institute.
National Institute of Naturopathy organizes 8 batches of Yoga classes daily. In these batches, the four classes are conducted in the morning including one batch at 9 AM exclusively for women and four in the evening. The classes charge Rs. 200 as monthly rental for every participant.
National Institute of Naturopathy also published a magazine in Hindi and English language named ‘Nisargopachar Varta’ at highly subsidized rates. This magazine is purely based on Yoga, Health, Food, Naturopathy, Longevity, prevention of diseases, natural way of living by some well-reputed authors. These books enhance the reader’s knowledge about self-health sufficiency as advocated by Mahatma Gandhi.
- The institute organizes Naturopathy Food Exhibition every year.
- In 2009-10, it was conducted as a 4 days Health Food Exhibition at Dilli Haat, New Delhi.
- In 2010-11, it was conducted as a 4 days Health Food Exhibition at MDNIY, New Delhi.
Free Monthly Workshop in regional languages
- On the 3rd Saturday of each month, the National Institute of Naturopathy organizes a monthly workshop in a regional language such as Marathi, Punjabi, Bengali, Gujarati, Oriya, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam, etc.
- Each participant is being provided with natural food, Herbal tea/lemon juice, etc.
- Magazine Nisargopachar Varta and treatment equipment ‘Enema Can’ are given free of cost.
On every Wednesday, NIN conducts guest lectures by well-established speakers on the topic ‘’Procedure and Benefit’’ of Naturopathy treatment in different diseases. It is important to note that these lectures do not charge any additional fees.
National Institute of Naturopathy also conducts a one-day workshop which is purely based on displaying the procedure of different diseases for the general public on the last Saturday of every month. In this very workshop, every participant is charged Rs. 30/- and also given lunch with natural food, herbal tea, and lemon juice. It is also important to mention that the average participant strength is around: 85
Treatment Attendant Training Course (T.A.T.C)
Approx 58 students are given a 1-year full-Time Attendant Training Course (T.A.T.C). and they are also provided a monthly stipend of Rs 3000/-.
- NIN also has the facility of Free Acupressure treatment wherein patients are given free acupressure therapy daily between 2 to 5 p.m., six days a week.
- NIN also arranges this treatment for 250 patients every month.
Participation in Exhibition
- NIN participates in the Arogya exhibition organized by Dept. of Ayush, New Delhi, and other exhibitions in Maharashtra.
- Publication of Rare Text Books on Naturopathy
- NIN has published Dr. J.H Kellogg’s book ‘’Rational Hydrotherapy’’
- It also published a Diet- Recipe Book during 2009-10.
NIN celebrates Hindi Pakhwada every year in which Essay writing and Elocution competition in Hindi are organized.
Reimbursement Scheme under CGHS/CS (MA)
NIN also provides a credit facility that is provided to the CGHS/CS (MA) beneficiaries.
To promote health awareness and self capacity of healing among the public, financial aid is being provided for organizing Naturopathy awareness programs through NGOs and Naturopathy hospitals across the country.
Last updated on June 2nd, 2021 at 03:04 pm