Choosing the right career for yourself is critical to tomorrow’s success. Apart from the conventional options, a career in traditional and complementary systems of medicine is worth considering, for its potential.
The Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy (ISM&H) was established in the year 1995. This was done keeping in mind the need to popularise our own traditional systems of medicine and reduce the increasing pressure on Allopathy. Subsequently, it was rechristened as Ayush, that is Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy, in the year 2003. Sowa-Rigpa, which is a traditional system of medicine practised in the Himalayan belt, was added to Ayush systems recently. In the year 2014, the Department of Ayush was conferred upon the status of an independent Ministry with the aim to make Ayush systems popular globally.
Today Ayush healthcare services play an important role in the healthcare sector of our country. Extensive research, training, teaching is undertaken in each of the systems, to enable them to grow and contribute significantly to public healthcare. With the entire world going through a difficult phase combating the Covid 19, the Ayush systems and their registered practitioners have in their respective ways contributed significantly to mitigate the situation.
While the standards of medical education in Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani are regulated by the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), the Central Council of Homeopathy Medicine (CCH) regulates Homeopathy medical education in the country.
The following is a list of premier institutes established under the Ministry of Ayush. These Institutes have over the years contributed to the growth, development, research, training and teaching in the Ayush systems of health care in a scientific way.
- National Institute of Ayurveda (NIA), Jaipur https://www.nia.nic.in
- National Institute of Naturopathy (NIN), Pune https://punenin.org/
- National Institute of Unani Medicine (NIUM), Bengaluru www.nium.in
- National Institute of Siddha (NIS), Chennai www.nischennai.org
- National Institute of Homoeopathy (NIH), Kolkata www.nih.nic.in
- North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda & Homoeopathy(NEIAH), Shillong neiah.nic.in
- All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), New Delhi (www.aiia.gov.in)
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY), New Delhi www.yogamdniy.nic.in
- Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth Delhi (RAV), New Delhi www.ravdelhi.nic.in
- Institute for Teaching & Research in Ayurveda (ITRA), Jamnagar (https://www.ayurveduniversity.edu.in/uniipgtra.php)
- These institutes offer courses like PhD, postgraduate programmes, degree courses, certificate and training courses. Some of the popular courses offered by these institutes are:
- Postgraduate Ayurveda degree in different specialties (M.D./M.S.-Ayurveda)
- Postgraduate Unani degree in different specialties (M.D./M. S. -Unani)
- Postgraduate Siddha degree in different specialties (M.D./M. S. -Siddha) & PhD programme
- Postgraduate Homoeopathy degree in different specialties (M. D. -Homoeopathy)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy (PGDYT)
- Master of Science (Yoga)
- Bachelor of Science (Yoga)
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (B.A.M.S.)
- Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (B.U.M.S.)
- Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Surgery (B.S.M.S.)
- Bachelor of Homoeopathy Medicine and Surgery (B.H.M.S.)
A professional career in Ayush systems of medicine must be considered in the career planning by individuals who have an interest in medical fields. The growing surge of public towards Ayush systems and the organized educational system of indigenous medical systems of India has made Ayush profession a key career option for teaching, research, practice and entrepreneurship.
Last updated on December 10th, 2021 at 10:52 am